Not So Strictly Ballroom
...where same-sex dancing is not so queer!
Stay tuned for upcoming workshops.
Tips for Dancers (thanks to Geraldine & Peter)
1. Don't procrastinate, enroll and come to every lesson. You can't enjoy any activity unless you participate. People often procrastinate for years then, once they’ve joined, say “I wish I had started sooner!” Life has a way of keeping us very busy but everyone deserves enjoyment. Get out on the dance floor and have fun. Make having fun a priority - it will help keep you young! Once you start, stick with it; you will soon see positive results.
2. Buy dance shoes. Get yourself a pair of soft, leather or suede soled shoes and you will get much more pleasure from your dancing.
3. Leave your ego at the door and be open to the learning experience. Joining any group activity can be intimidating to the newcomer and some people can have unreasonable expectations for themselves, the lessons and others. What you can realistically expect is to be in a group of people who, just like you, wish to enjoy themselves and dance! You can also expect to be on a learning curve and encounter some challenges and successes along the way but, if you make it a priority to relax and have fun first, then the rest will fall into place.
4. Patience, diplomacy and a genuine smile are great ways to deal with challenges that occur during the lesson.
5. Practice as much as you can. Practice will go a long way to forgetting steps from one class to another and will allow you to focus on the new material. This makes it easier to learn, the lesson will be more fun -- and it makes a happier you!!
6. Grooming. Did you eat garlic at dinner? Check your breath and other parts of your body!! It’s embarrassing to talk about, but important to be aware of when in close contact with others.
7. Forget the fancy stuff… for now. Think about foundation work such as balance, posture, musicality. When you get a solid foundation the fancy moves will become easier and more enjoyable to learn.
NSSB Dance Mail-list:
We send email notices about current dance events. To subscribe to our email list drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Home Classes Social Events Workshops Contact Us Links Photo Gallery